‘The next big step’: U of T researchers pursue a treatment for vision loss
Women's Executive Network
Margolese National Brain Disorders Prize
Eye On Vision
CBC Metro Morning
Connaught Innovation Award
By raising lab coats to the rafters, U of T biomedical engineering lab celebrates its student MVPs
Fellow, The Royal Society
International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
CBC Radio: Fresh Air
Economic Club of Canada
A New Art and Science Exhibit
Public Talk with Molly Shoichet
Included are several channels that have captured their publication:
Included are several channels within the University of Toronto that have captured their publication:
And some external sources:
Also included are several media sources that have captured this publication:
Molly Shoichet, 2015 L'Oréal-UNESCO Laureate
Included are several media sources that have captured this honour.
Alumni, uses nature and the environment to bring his lab's science and research together.
Molly Shoichet speaks at AAAS panel on stroke research. Here pictured with former grad student, Jeff Karp (Professor at Harvard Medical School), Julie Payette (Canadian Astronaut), Suzanne Fortier (President, NSERC) and Chad Gadfield (Present, SSHRC).
Biomaterials Science welcomes Molly Shoichet and others to their Editorial Board.
Recipient of Collaborative Health Research Project Grants
Canada Foundation for Innovation
The Toronto Star, 21 November 2010, by Judy Gerstel, Toronto 'We know more about what is happening in the universe than between our ears' Judy Gerstel Special to the Star
Molly Shoichet, a biomedical scientist at the University of Toronto who holds the Canada research chair in tissue engineering, described a "growing momentum" in the bio-engineering field as collaboration increases between engineers, biologists, and surgeon scientists.
• Molly Shoichet and her research was recently featured on NSERC's website. If your link should ever become broken,please
• In September 2009 the University of Toronto launched a recruitment campaign featuring Faculty and graduate students. Professor Molly Shoichet, and one of our doctoral students, Douglas Baumann are among those featured. The footage shot during these interviews, edited to 30s commercial form, has appeared on national television. Longer versions have also been posted to You Tube by the University. Links to interviews with Professor Shoichet are given below. Additional footage and biographical information is available at
Molly Shoichet was awarded the Clara Benson Award at The Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition. The award is in recognition of a distinguished contribution to chemistry by a woman while working in Canada. The conference and celebration took place in June 2009, in Hamilton.
• Molly Shoichet was profiled in the Pre-Sping 2008 issue of
• A major Chinese channel (CCTV-10) went to visit several Canadian universities. In this video, UofT is featured. About 5 minutes into the video, we can see some of the members in our lab, including Molly, Meng, Laura, and Yukie (just to name a few).
• Molly Shoichet was inducted into the Canadian Academy of Sciences of the Royal Society of Canada with UofT colleagues
• Molly's public lecture to UTM alumni attracts the attention of the
• Molly Shoichet has the honour of becoming a fellow of the
• Molly Shoichet has been elected to the Academy of Science of the Royal Society of Canada. Election to Fellowship in the Society is the highest academic accolade in Canada that is available to scientists and scholars. Molly's citation reads as follows, "Molly Shoichet is an innovative and influential scholar working at the interface of chemistry, biology and engineering who seeks to advance fundamental science, while at the same time translating this knowledge into advanced human health. Molly is internationally acclaimed and recognized for her outstanding research and leadership in these multi-disciplinary fields."
• Shoichet Research Team featured in the Spring 2008 issue of the University of Toronto Magazine for Advances in Spinal Cord Injury Repair Strategies
• On February 20, 2008, two of University of Toronto's Chemical-Engineering profesors, Molly Shoichet and Elizabeth Edwards became recipients of the Killam Fellowship Award. You can click here to see the feature done by Aisha Greene of The Varsity, or here for a link to the PDF file.
• In the January 12, 2008, issue of the Toronto Star, Peter Calami reports on the Canada Research Chairs program and its impact to professors in universities across Canada. In Peter's article, entitled "Brain drain? That's so nineties", the University of Toronto tops the list of universities to have professors being recipients for this prestigious program, and Molly Shoichet is highlighted as the "poster woman for a national success".
• Not only is it exciting to have Jordan Wosnick and Molly Shoichet's "Three-Dimensional Chemical Patterning of Transparent Hydrogels", appear in the 20th Anniversary volume of Chemistry of Materials, but the artwork of Ms. Hyun Joo Lee, was also featured on their front cover!
• In the January 5, 2008, issue of the Globe and Mail, Tenille Bonoguore gave an in-depth look at how Toronto - specifically within the University and College Streets area - is a mecca for Science. To get a pdf version of the article published on the Globe and Mail's website, please click here.
• A major focus of the 2007 year for the University of Toronto pertains to recruitment strategies. In one project, three students from our lab were invited to share their thoughts and impressions of UofT. Please click here to to get to the page with the links. Unfortunately we do not have direct links to these videos. You may also have to download either RealPlayer or Windows Media Player to view these.
• In March 2007, the Ontario Centre of Excellence made a great feature on Celebrating 20 years of Innovation and looking distinctly at the champions of innovation in Ontario. In pursuing this project, Molly was identified as being a leader in this field. Please click here
• Jordan Wosnick on laser photo-patterning of biomaterials, at the Functional Materials Symposium
• Molly is profiled in ACS Chemical Biology's August 18th 2006 issue of Ask the Expert feature.
• Dimpy Gupta's study was featured in the February 3, 2006 issue of Science
• Ying Luo's study was featured in the April 2004 issue Nature Materials - for a preview of the story, please click here.
• From The Times' special section on Life Sciences, featuring several professors at the University of Toronto.
• From BBC (UK) - Radio 4: Molly was featured on Radio 4's program, Leading Edge
Awards and Distinctions
For a Good Cause
• Rick Hansen's Wheels in Motion - please click here to see some of the beautiful moments captured
The Future of Medicine is Personal
• We would like to thank the photographer, Andrew Williamson, who has captured some beautiful shots of Molly as she was giving her presentation.
Tanis Haas, editor of a health and wellness newsletter, MeDCAN, spoke to some speakers of TEDxToronto where she has shared how they stay healthy while making waves in their research and outreach.
• This year, the theme of the 2015 conference is Thresholds.
• TEDxToronto 2015 announces first round of speakers.
• DiscovHer: How 1 researcher + 1 film-maker are making research a reality for 1,000s.
• On Monday May 11, 2015, Molly Shoichet was interviewed by Matt Galloway of CBC Metro Morning.
Molly Shoichet's portrait video
• August 2018 - Congratulations to Sonja Ing on successfully defending her MASc thesis! We wish Sonja great success in veterinary school at the University of Guelph.
• July 2018 - Congratulations to Samantha Payne for successfully defending her PhD! We would also to congratulate Ellie Arnold, Eric Donders, and Eric Ho who have all been awarded OGS scholarships.
• June 2018 - Congratulations to Nick for successfully defending his PhD! As always, Nick had a lot to say and it was all good. Great job!
• May 2018 - Congratulations to Anup who successfully defended his PhD more than a week ago, but I’m not sure that we congratulated him with an all group e-mail. Great job Anup on getting across that finish line with an exciting new drug combination! We would also like to congratulate Jackie for successfully defending her PhD at the Departmental Oral. Jackie also did a great job explaining her data! Just one more defense left. We would also like to congratulate Anup on having a News & Views article accepted for publication in Nature Materials!
• March/April 2018 - Congratulations to Alex who will be awarded the Chemical Engineering Student Life Catalyst Award! We will also like to congratulate Sonja who will now have a busy summer writing up her Master’s thesis and peer-reviewed papers before heading off to Guelph.
• January/February 2018 - Love is in the air: Join me in congratulating Linyang on her recent marriage; Alex on his recent marriage; and Anup on his recent engagement. We would also like to congratulate Dr. Stephanie Fisher who has successfully defended her PhD.
• December 2017 - Congratulations to Nick Mitrousis on winning the Blue Rock Best Translational Research Poster Award at the Medicine by Design 2017 Symposium.
• November 2017 - Many congratulations in the lab: Margaret Ho on receiving the Barbara & Frank Milligan Graduate Fellowship; Jackie Obermeyer on receiving the Professor William F. Graydon Memorial Graduate Fellowship; Dr. Jennifer Logie (PhD, 8/2017) on receiving the Department of Chemical Engineering's (UofT) Graduate Student Life Catalyst Award Therapeutic. We would also like to congratulate Dr. Roger Tam on his new position as Research Scientist in Glycobiology, at Health Canada.
• October 2017 - Samantha Payne describes how she uses HAMC hydroge for cell delivery to the brain.
• September 2017 - We welcome Aileen Gracias (PhD, Karolinska Institute, Sweden) to our lab for graduate studies.
• August 2017 - We welcome Eric Ho (BASc, Waterloo), Margaret Ho (BMSc, Western) and Carter Teal (MEng, Imperial College, UK) to our lab for graduate studies. Many congratulations in the lab: Julia Rao on winning an award at UnERD; Ahil Ganesh, Sam Payne and Margaret Ho on receiving an OGS; and Jackie Obermeyer on receiving a QEII Scholarship. We would also like to congratulate Stephanie Fisher on securing an intership at BlueRock Therapeutics.
• June/July 2017 - We say farewell to Dr. Jennifer Logie who takes up a position at Environment Canada in Ottawa after completing an industry internship at Hammock Therapeutics.
• May 2017 - Congratulations to everyone who participated in the Sporting Life 10k Toronto Marathon
• March 2017 - Congratulations to Laura Bahlmann who was awarded an NSERC CGSM
• December 2016 - Congratulations to Jennifer Logie who successfully defended her PhD! Dr. Logie is now doing an internship at Hammock Pharmaceuticals.
• October/November 2016 - Congratulations to Priya Anandakumaran and Jessica Ngai who both successfully defended their Master's of Applied Science and Engineering in September 2016. Priya is off to Columbia University to pursue her PhD and Jessica is at an internship at Merrimack Pharmaceuticals.
• September 2016 - The Shoichet Lab welcomes Dr. Ana Fokina from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Ms. Laura Bahlman, BSc Waterloo and Mr. Eric Donders, Queen's University.
• August 2016 - Shoichet Lab swells in summer 2016 with undergraduate researchers. Welcome to the lab: Niema Binth Mohammad, Leo Zhu, Martina Heinelt, Molly Lindway, Marc Goudge, Natalie Landon-Brace, Elliott Birman, Oriana Shaw, and Shorab Zand.
• June/July 2016 - Congratulations! Leah Kesselman, Irja Elliott Donaghue, and Malgosia Pakulska celebrate after convocation with Molly Shoichet.
• May 2016 - Congratulations to all the presenters at WBC2016. Our lab was well presented with both current graduate students, as well as former graduate students!
• April 2016 - Congratulations to Linyang Yu on successfully passing her PhD bypass exam.
• January 2016 - Congratulations to Irja Donaghue Elliott on successfully defending her PhD, as well as Leah Kesselman on her MASc.
• December 2015 - Congratulations to Malgosia Pakulska on successfully defending her PhD and securing a great job with Medicine by Design. We would also like to congratulate Samantha Payne on winning one of the three prizes awarded by the Ontario Institute for Regenerative Medicine's (OIRM), for their Pitchfest competition. A video will be put together after the New Year and available in Spring...stay tuned!
• October/November 2015 - There are many to whom we wish to extend our congratulations. In awards, congratulations to Ellie Arnold on receiving the 2015 Cecil Yip Doctoral Research Award. Congratulations to Petro Czupiel and Jessica Ngai on their recent OGS scholarships. Congratulations to Stephanie Fisher, Anup Tuladhar and Samantha Payne who have all been awarded QEII Graduate Scholarships. We would also like to congratulation Jamie Parker who sucessfully completed his Master of Science in Chemistry. We wish Jamie great success in Law School her at UofT.
• July/August 2015 - The Shoichet Lab welcomes the following summer students: Shermaine Li, Jay Chi, Jill Harrop, Elliot Birman, and Molly Lindway.
• June 2015 - Congratulations to Shoichet Lab Alumnus, Prof Nic Leipzig, on his recent promotion to Associate Professor with tenure at the University of Akron! Also, our innovative hydrogel for cell transplantation to the eye and brain, co-led by Brian Ballios and Michael Cooke, garnered national and international attention.
• March/April 2015 - There is a lot to celebrate in these last couple of months. Congratulations to Katarina Vulic on her new job at Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research. Congratulations to Priya Anandakumaran and Laura Smith on winning the prestigious NSERC CGSM! Congratulations to Ellie Arnold on winning a prestigious NSERC CGSD!
• January/February 2015 - We are delighted to welcome Dr. Vianney Delplace from Universite de Paris Sud to the Shoichet Lab as a post-doctoral fellow.
• November/December 2014 - Congratulations to Katarina Vulic who will receive her PhD at convocation on November 21 and to Karyn Ho who will receive her Masters in Biomedical Communications on November 19. Molly is super excited to be speaking at Katarina's convocation on November 21. Katarina is currently doing an internship at Novartis in Cambridge, MA and Karyn is working at Mechanisms in Medicine to develop visual patient education resources as a 3D animator and senior grants manager.
• October/November 2014 - We welcomed a number of students to our lab, who have also come with a number of awards: We welcome Linyang Yu and congratulate her on winning a prestigious Connaught Graduate Scholarship; we welcome Ellie Arnold to the lab and congratulate her for winning an NSERC CGSM scholarship; we welcome Jessica Ngai and congratulate her on winning an NSERC CREATE in M3 scholarship; congratulations also goes to Irja Donaghue Elliott and Katarina Vulic who have also won the this award. We also welcome Laura Smith to the lab.
• August/September 2014 - There are many to whom we wish to extend our congratulations: Congratulations to Alexander Baker for winning the best poster prize at the Canadian Biomaterials Society meeting in 2014 and an NSERC CGSD.Congratulation to Anup Tuladahar for winning an OGS Scholarship, and the Mary Gertrude l'Anson Scholarship; Ahil Ganesh for winning an NSERC PGSD; Jackie Obermeyer for winning an NSERC CGSD; Leah Kesselman for winning an NSERC CGSD; and Tobi Fuehrmann for winning a CIHR TPRM post-doctoral scholarship. We welcome Priya Anandakumaran to the lab for graduate school and congratulate her for winning a QEII OGSST graduate scholarship.
• January-February 2014 - We congratulate Dr. Shawn Owen, former post-doctoral fellow, who started as a tenure track Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Utah. We would also like to congratulate Dr. Brian Ballios, former PhD student, won the first place poster prize for the MD/PhD category at the 28th annual Medical Student Research Day (MSRD), that was held on January 28, 2014. The event showcased a total of 170 posters submitted across nine different research categories; and to Dr. Karyn Ho, former PhD student, who was recently named a Vesalian Scholar.
• October-December 2013 - Congratulations to Yuanfei Wang for successfully defending her PhD! We wish Yuanfei all the best as she returns to work at Fletcher Spaght, Inc. We would also like to congratulate Anup on receiving the TPRM graduate student fellowship, Tobi for receiving the TPRM post-doctoral fellowship, and Mike for receiving the MITACs ELEVATE post-doctoral fellowship and inclusion in the Rotman school Creative Destructive Lab program.
• August/September 2013 - Congratulations to Brian G. Ballios, PhD on winning the prestigious Donnelly Centre thesis prize. Congratulations also to Priya Anandakumaran for winning undergraduate awards for her summer research from both IBBME for her oral presentation and UnERD for her poster presentation. Congratulations to Michael Cooke, PhD for winning a MITACs elevate post-doctoral fellowship and to Chris McLaughlin for winning a prestigious NSERC PDF.
• June/July 2013 - Congratulations to Brian G. Ballios, PhD who officially received his PhD at convocation in June 2013. We wish Brian best of luck as he continues his medical school training. Please also welcome the newest members of the Shoichet Group: Chris McLaughlin, PhD (post-doctoral fellow); Jamie Parker (Master's student); Ahil Ganesh (Master's student).
• May 2013 - Join me in congratulating Jackie Obermeyer for getting first prize in the IBBME poster competition in her category; Petro Czupiel for getting honourable mention in the IBBME poster competition in his category; Ahil Ganesh for winning an OGS; and Leah Kesselman for winning an NSERC CGSM.
• March 2013 - We congratulate Dr. Shawn Owen on winning the prestigious Controlled Release Society T. Nagai Postdoc Research Achievement Award.
• December 2012 - Congratulations to Daniel McLean who successfully defended his PhD at the department level and will return to defend his PhD at the University level in the new year. We wish Dan great success as he pursues a policy internship with Health Canada.
• October 2012 - Congratulations to Brian Ballios for successfully defending his PhD. We wish Brian great success as he returns to medical school to finish his MD. And congratulations to Roger Tam and Karyn Ho for their cover art on the October 2012 issue of J Materials Chemistry.
• September/October 2012 - Congratulations to Dianna Chan and Matt Caicco for successfully defending their Master's of Applied Science degrees. We wish Dianna all the best as she embarks on her new career at Kraft and are delighted that Matt will stay to explore commercial properties of HAMC. And welcome the newest members of the Shoichet lab: Petro Czupiel, Dr. Tobi Fuehrman, Leah Kesselman, Jackie Obermeyer and Samantha Payne.
• August 2012 - Congratulations to Karyn Ho for successfully defending her PhD! We wish Karyn all the best as she dives into the world of Biomedical Communications. Congratulations also goes to Shawn Owen's paper in . It is in the top 10 most downloaded from ACS Chemical Biology in the last 12 months.
• May 2012 - Congratulations to Brian Ballios for winning the first place price for science talks at the IMS Scientific Day. Congratuations also goes to Matt Caicco and Malgosia Pakulska for winning a travel award to this summers Controlled Release Society meeting; and for Anup Tuladhar on winning an OGS Scholarship. Well done to all!
• April 2012 - Congratulations to Jennifer Logie on winning an NSERC CGS-M! Also congratulations to Ryan Wylie on winning a Banting Post-doctoral Fellowship!
• February/March 2012 - Congratulations to Jiao Lu for successfully defending her Ph.D.! We wish Dr. Lu all the best as she pursues a post-doctoral fellowship in Japan at Kyoto University, under the supervision of Prof. Akiyoshi Kazunari; she is being hired by the Japan Science and Technology Agengy (JST). Also to congratulate are: Brian Ballios for having his paper on retinal stem cell differentiation to photoreceptors published in; Jason Stanwick and Doug Baumann for their paper on the controlled release of anti-NogoA in ; and Ira Schmid has completed a 6-month exchange from Johannes-Gutenberg, Universitat Mainz, Germany and will return to her home institution
• January 2012 - Congratulations to Chelsea Nimmo and Karyn Ho for their cover art of . Also to congratulate are: Katarina Vulic for her innovative delivery system, published in ; Karyn Ho for her novel cancer delivery system, published in; Daniel McLean for his informative brain imaging system, published in; and Yuanfei Wang for her new local delivery system to the brain, published in
• November/December 2011 - Congratulations to Yukie Aizawa for successfully defending her PhD! We wish Yukie all the best as she returns to work at Kaneka. We congratulate Howard Kim, PhD; Ryan Wylie, PhD; Chelsea Nimmo, MSc; and Jason Stanwick, MASc, all of whom formally received their degrees at convocation in November.
• October 2011 - Congratulations to Ryan Wylie for successfully defending his PhD thesis. We wish Ryan continued success as he pursues a post-doctoral fellowship in Robert Langer's laboratory at MIT. We would also like to congratulate Doug Baumann, PhD, on his new job at Syngenta.
• September 2011 - Congratulations to three new graduates from The Shoichet Lab. Howard Kim successfully defended his PhD and is now pursuing a career at Bayliss Medical. Jason Stanwick successfully defended his MASc and is pursuing a career at Apotex. Chelsea Nimmo successfully presented her MSc and is now pursuing a law degree at McGill University. Congratulations to Howard, Jason and Chelsea and best of luck in their new careers.
• August 2011 - Shoichet lab undergraduates sweep prizes at the annual Undergraduate Engineering Research Day (UnERD) symposium. Anthony Vo won first prize in the afternoon podium presentation session and Joshua Budman won second prize in the morning podium presentation session. Congratulations to Anthony and Josh! We wish Anthony great success at the University of Ottawa where he begins medical school and Josh best of luck as he returns to John Hopkins for his third year of Biomedical Engineering
Sunday May 14th, 2017
Sunday May 8th, 2016
Sunday October 19th, 2015
• Another successful day. Thank goodness the raining weather passed and brought in some needed sunshine.
• SBeRT have done it again!!
• Another successful day was met when the Shoichet Bioengineering Research Team took part in the 2007 Rick Hansen's Wheels in Motion
• In 2007 the Shoichet Group won the Wheels in Motion Community Wheelchair Relay at the Docks in Toronto. The large silver bowl and individual gold trophies (above) were awarded to the five members of our "A Team"; while both the A and B Teams received beautiful gift baskets for winning their respective heats. In the finals the A Team won with a time of 2:44 while the B Team was fifth in 3:18. In addition to the relay trophies the Shoichet Group also placed 2nd across Canada in the Community Relay Fundraising Category.
• Shoichet Group would like to thank SARSTEDT for financial support and MEDI-Chair and Shopper's Home Health Care for their expertise and generous donation of racing wheelchairs. The Team would also like to extend heartfelt thanks to our friends, family, and colleagues for their support in 2007.
• This year (June 2006), the Shoichet group put together a corporate team, Shoichet Bioengineering Research Team. Along with the excitement of creating a team, Molly and her son (Emerson) were quoted in the Toronto Star.
• Rick Hansen's Wheels in Motion (June 2005) - please click here to see some of the beautiful moments captured.
Awards and Distinctions
• Please click here to enjoy some group celebrations that we've had
• June 2016 - ShoichetLab alumnus, Prof Yen Wah Tong of NUS, returns to UofT for a seminar on peptide amphiphiles.
• May 2016 - This year's World Biomaterials Congress (WBC2016) was extra-special, as it brought together a Shoichet Lab Reunion.
• March 2016 - Congratulations to Dr. Jiao Lu (PhD 2012) and her husband who are proud parents of a baby boy. Yutaro Ohara was born on October 6, 2015.
• October 2015 - The Fall 2015 issue of interfaces, an Alumni & Industry Magazine of the Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto, profiles alumna Laura Yu (PhD 2008)
• April 2015 - Congratulations to Dr. Katarina Vulic (PhD 2014). Katarina was recently offered the position of Senior Scientist at Novartis Insitutes for BioMedical Research. This comes off the heels of her having a relatively short intern placement at Novartis during which she excelled and she was also awarded a Novartis Spot Award. Her intern placement at Novartis is a position that she gained from being one of our first NSERC M3 award recipients!
• July 2014 - Congratulations to Dr. Yuanfei Wang (PhD 2013). Yuanfei was recently offered the Life Sciences Consultant position at Putnam Associates, a Boston-based pharma-biotech strategy consulting firm.
• July 2014 - Congratulations to Ms. Ankeeta Tadkase (BASc 2010), who has just graduated from medical school. She is now starting her residency in the Family Medicine department, University of Toronto.
• April 2014 - Congratulations to Dr. Paul Dalton (PDF, 1999-2002), who together with his family have moved to Germany, where he has now taken on a Full Professor faculty position in Biofabrication at the University of Wuerzburg.